199 N. Rebecca St. For Additional Information: 724-352-1400 x227
Saxonburg, PA 16056
The Saxonburg Museum is located in Roebling Park, on North Rebecca Street between Main and Water Streets. The 6000 square foot Museum was built in 1991 and presented to the Saxonburg Historical and Restoration Commission by the "Reldon & Hattie Cooper Charitable Foundation." The history of the community is represented in a number of museum rooms which display artifacts from the growth and development of Saxonburg, since its first settlers arrived in 1831.
The Roebling Room contains pictures and documents describing the engineering career of John A. Roebling. The first wire cable was developed and patented by Roebling in 1840, at his workshop located next to the Museum. The new and stronger wire cables were used on river ferries, canal bridges, and the famous Pennsylvania Canal Portage Railroad. Major river bridges were then designed and built by John and his son, Colonel Washington Roebling, including the Brooklyn Bridge.
In the 1930s, Pittsburgh Radio Station KDKA, built a signal transmission facility approximately one mile south of Saxonburg. Many of the technical staff, from the facility, lived and raised their families in Saxonburg.
The stories of the these early radio pioneers are displayed in the Reldon Cooper Radio Room at the Museum.
The Museum is open on Saturday and Sunday, 2:00 to 5:00 p.m., from Memorial Day through Labor Day
Copyright © Saxonburg Borough.