The Saxonburg Museum is located in Roebling Park on North Rebecca Street between Main and Water Streets. The 6,000-square-foot Museum was built in 1991 and presented to the Saxonburg Historical and Restoration Commission by the Reldon & Hattie Cooper Charitable Foundation. The history of our community is represented in a number of museum rooms which display artifacts from the growth and development of Saxonburg, dating back to when our first settlers arrived in 1831.
The Roebling Room contains pictures and documents describing the engineering career of John A. Roebling, the founder of Saxonburg. The first wire cable was developed and patented by Roebling in 1840, at his workshop that had been located next to where the Museum now stands. The new and stronger wire cables were used on river ferries, canal bridges, and the famous Pennsylvania Canal Portage Railroad. Major river bridges were then designed and built by John and his son, Colonel Washington Roebling, including the Brooklyn Bridge.
In the 1930s, Pittsburgh Radio Station KDKA built a signal transmission facility approximately one mile south of Saxonburg. Many of the technical staff from the facility lived and raised their families in Saxonburg. The stories of the these early radio pioneers are displayed in the Reldon Cooper Radio Room at the Museum.
Our Museum currently is only open for scheduled tours. To schedule a tour, please email in advance to SaxonburgMuseum@gmail.com .
Museum Location: 199 N. Rebecca Street, Saxonburg, PA 16056
Our mailing address is Saxonburg Museum, 420 W. Main St., Saxonburg, PA 16056
For Additional Information: 724-352-1400 Option 3
E-Mail comments or questions to email@example.com